Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2010

Mounting turrets

Today I went to school and used the heavy duty drill press they have in the lab and drilled all the holes (1/8" diameter) for the turrets, and holes for wire routing. The fiberglass board that I drilled into was quite nice to work with, albeit a bit of a dust maker. **Always wear eye and respiratory protection when cutting fiberglass** I think I was expecting similar results to PCB material, but then I believe that those are more densely packed fiberglass and a different type of epoxy to hold it all together.

I covered the board with tape and marked lines for the cutouts, center-punched the soon-to-be holes and drilled away.

Once the holes were drilled I removed the tape and cleaned up the board. Now came the task of mounting the turrets. I was missing the bit that sits in the press and pushes the top of the turret against the board, while the conical section flares the bottom. I had a standoff that I bored out with a 5/32" bit. That fit the turret head pretty good and I did the same thing to a longer metal hex standoff and pressed in the turrets.





Next step - mounting the components. I'll have to find some chassis mount terminal strips to mount the other components (diode rectifiers, bias circuit, etc...)

3 HRS CLOCKED - 1 HR @ HOME

No comments:

Post a Comment