Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Building the boards, PT 1

Today I began the task of building the turret populated boards that will hold the amplifier circuitry. I have decided to omit the relay-switching of channels that I had planned and opt for the simpler "always-on" mixing circuit that the original Fenders had. Using this method I can still have reverb on the solid-state channel by jumping out of 1 of the unused inputs into the tube Fender channel, and be able to mix it in as necessary.


They are used as junction points for circuit connections. The device is installed onto a board - fiberglass, in this case, by a special turret staking tool. Once installed, components can be soldered directly to the turret, thus making an electrical connection. It can be considered one method of point-to-point wiring.

In the old Fender amps, they used solder "eyelets" which were essentially contact points like the turrets, but had a profile that was nearly even with the board level.

I chose turrets because I have some, and because a mechanical connection can also be achieved with them, strengthening the connection of the components.

I began the design of the turret board layout by using a CAD program called CADStd. The designer of the software offers a freeware version of the program than is very user friendly and has a quick learning curve.

Using CADStd, I drew up several of the components I had that would be going into the build of the tube amp - then after drawing them up, stopped. It became clear to me that things would go much quicker if I simply worked with the actual components, on the actual fiberglass board, and draw directly on the board.

This decision to head away from the computer was a good one. I took my schematics and layouts and laid everything I had out on the kitchen table and began setting things up. Within a few hours I had completed the layout for the turret board.






Now that I have this done, I need to drill the board (including holes for wires), install the turrets and begin populating the board.

I also have a self-etched PCB of the solid state preamp that needs preparation.

Regarding the turret staking tools, I may have to build the part that presses against the top of the turret, as I do not have this part, and none of the Keystone staking tools do not seem to match the size of the turrets that I have.

2:50PM-7PM; 11PM-12AM (5.17 HRS)

No comments:

Post a Comment